Medical malpractice can result in serious injuries and/or death. Healthcare providers are responsible for providing treatment that complies with the applicable standards of care.
Generally speaking, the standards of care for a health care provider is the degree of care and skill that would be expected of a reasonably competent health care provider in the same or similar circumstances.
Doctors, and other health care providers, can be sued for medical malpractice, including:
- Clinics, and
If you have experienced an injury from a medical mistake, you should contact a Columbia medical malpractice lawyer.
To prove a case of medical malpractice, an injured party (the plaintiff) must show:
- A legal duty of care on the part of the healthcare provider,
- A breach of that duty of care,
- An injury to the plaintiff, and
- That the breach of duty caused the plaintiff’s injury.
Additionally, there are certain procedural requirements when filing a malpractice lawsuit in Maryland.
Therefore, it is important to contact a medical malpractice lawyer in Columbia, MD to ensure that your claim is filed properly and on time.
Medical malpractice cases can involve:
- Birth injury. Examples of birth injury cases due to medical malpractice include improper use of forceps and/or a vacuum extractor, failing to properly monitor a baby before and/or during birth, delaying an emergency C-section, and applying excessive traction when encountering shoulder dystocia.
- Surgical errors. Examples of surgical malpractice include anesthesia errors, infections, leaving surgical equipment within a patient, operating on the wrong patient or body part, and numerous other mistakes.
- Misdiagnosis. Misdiagnosis can result from a failure to refer a patient to a specialist, misinterpretation of test results, and/or failure to order certain tests.
- Medication mistakes. Examples of medication mistakes include giving the patient the wrong medication, giving the wrong dose, giving medication at the wrong time, giving a medication to the wrong patient, and giving the patient a dangerous medication when combined with other medications.
At Baird Mandalas Brockstedt Federico & Cardea, LLC, we also handle cases involving:
- ER negligence,
- Cerebral palsy,
- Spinal cord injuries,
- Brain injury,
- Wrongful death, and
If you suspect you have a medical malpractice case, do not delay—Maryland has laws that limit the amount of time you have to file a medical malpractice claim.
These laws are called a statute of limitations. Therefore, it is important to reach out to a medical malpractice lawyer as soon as possible.
Contact a Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Columbia
Various lawyers at Baird Mandalas Brockstedt Federico & Cardea, LLC have been recognized by Best Lawyers in America, Best Attorneys in America, Maryland Super Lawyers, Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, The National Trial Lawyers (Top 25 medical malpractice attorneys) and many other organizations.
We are Columbia medical malpractice lawyers with the trial-tested expertise and results-driven mindset to take on the complexities of your case. Contact our Columbia office online or by phone at 410-421-7777.