Anesthesiologists administer drugs that prevent pain during surgical procedures. Because these drugs and their administration can pose medical risks, patients rightfully expect anesthesiologists to uphold a high standard of care. When anesthesiologists fail to do so, the consequences can be catastrophic.
If you or a loved one were injured by this type of medical malpractice in Baltimore or the surrounding area, seeking legal representation from an experienced anesthesiologist malpractice lawyer is imperative.
A skilled lawyer can help you understand your legal options, fight for your rights, and help you obtain a just settlement.
This article will explore the critical role of an anesthesia malpractice lawyer and how they can help you seek the justice and fair compensation you deserve.
What Is Anesthesiology Malpractice?
Anesthesiologists play a crucial role in ensuring patient safety during surgery. Their responsibilities include administering anesthesia, monitoring patient vital signs closely, and promptly responding to complications. Unfortunately, occasional mistakes occur.
Anesthesiologist malpractice is when an anesthesiologist fails to provide the appropriate standard of care during a procedure.
This amounts to the care that a reasonably competent provider with the same level of training would have used in the same or similar circumstances.
When they fall below that standard, they can cause mistakes and complications ranging from minor injuries to death. Examples of anesthesiologist malpractice include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Medication and dosage errors. Anesthesiologists must calculate and administer anesthesia dosages carefully. Administering too much or too little medicine can result in anesthesia awareness, respiratory problems, brain damage, and even death.
- Failure to monitor. It is essential to continuously monitor patients during surgery to promptly detect any adverse drug reactions or changes in a patient’s condition. Neglecting this duty can lead to undetected complications and delayed responses to critical situations.
- Failure to consider medical history. Anesthesiologists must review a patient’s medical history to identify potential risks or allergies that may affect anesthesia administration.
- Inadequate preoperative assessment. Anesthesiologists must perform a thorough preoperative assessment to identify potential dangers and lessen the risks of unforeseen complications during surgery.
- Failure to obtain informed consent. Anesthesiologists must adequately inform patients about the risks and benefits of anesthesia to obtain informed consent before administering anesthesia.
If you believe an anesthesiologist’s negligence caused your injury, an experienced anesthesia malpractice attorney at Baird Mandalas Brockstedt & Federico can help.
Their knowledge, experience, and dedication to seeking justice can significantly aid your claim’s success, helping you secure fair compensation for your losses.
Why Hire an Anesthesiologist Malpractice Lawyer?
In Baltimore and the surrounding areas, victims require the specialized skills and in-depth knowledge of an anesthesia malpractice attorney who understands medical and anesthesia-related terminology and procedures.
Such a skilled lawyer can provide victims with important services, legal know-how, and significant advantages throughout the legal process. These advantages include, but are not limited to, the following:
- A deep understanding of medical and legal issues. Lawyers specializing in anesthesiologist malpractice possess in-depth knowledge of medical procedures, anesthesia protocols, and the intricate laws and regulations that apply in medical malpractice cases. This unique blend of expertise allows them to analyze medical records, consult with medical experts, and build a compelling case on your behalf.
- Experience handling similar anesthesiology malpractice cases. Seasoned lawyers in this area will have experience handling cases like yours that allows them to identify your claim’s strengths and weaknesses, set realistic expectations, and strategize accordingly. By focusing specifically on these types of malpractice cases, they are familiar with the common errors anesthesiologists make and the applicable medical standards of care.
- A thorough investigation. Lawyers skilled in this area will conduct a meticulous investigation, including gathering relevant medical records, interviewing witnesses, and consulting with medical experts to establish the proper standard of care and assess the anesthesiologist’s actions during the procedure. They will leave no stone unturned in their pursuit of the truth and fair compensation for victims.
- Experience navigating Maryland’s complex laws. Local attorneys who are experienced in litigating in Baltimore and the surrounding areas are well-versed in Maryland’s rules and regulations. Such in-depth knowledge helps to ensure your lawyer files your claim correctly and within the statute of limitations deadline.
- Negotiation and litigation skills. Experienced malpractice lawyers can negotiate with insurance companies and opposing counsel to seek a fair settlement that reflects your injuries and total losses. If the insurer does not agree to a fair settlement amount, your lawyer can take your case to trial and advocate for your rights in court.
If you or a loved one are a victim of anesthesiologist malpractice in Baltimore, an experienced anesthesia malpractice lawyer at Baird Mandalas Brockstedt & Federico can fight to hold the negligent parties responsible for their actions and secure the settlement you’re entitled to. With our help, you can start down the road to recovery.
What Should I Look for in an Anesthesiologist Malpractice Lawyer?
Anesthesia malpractice victims should consider several important factors when seeking a lawyer to represent their interests in Baltimore.
First, look for a lawyer with specific experience handling anesthesiologist malpractice cases. A good advocate should have a proven track record of success and be able to provide past client references. Remember to read reviews and testimonials to gauge the level of satisfaction of former clients.
Access to Experts
Second, look for a lawyer familiar with Baltimore’s medical community. A competent malpractice attorney will have a network of medical experts who can provide testimony in your case to help prove your claim.
Anesthesiologist malpractice cases can be emotionally and physically draining. Accordingly, finding a compassionate lawyer who understands your situation is also important. You want a lawyer who will be there to answer your questions, communicate, and support you every step of the way.
What to Keep in Mind at the Initial Consultation
Finally, many lawyers offer a free initial consultation. Take advantage of this service to discuss your case and determine if the lawyer is the right fit.
It may seem inconsequential, but you need to be comfortable with the professional that you choose to represent you. As you interview a potential lawyer, ask yourself these questions:
- Do they make you feel comfortable?
- Are you able to effectively communicate with them?
- Do they talk down to you, or do they explain things in a way you can understand, even if you’ve never been to law school?
- Do you feel confident that they will return your calls in a timely manner and keep you informed as your case progresses?
- Does their support staff seem adequate, and are they friendly and welcoming?
- Does the lawyer appear to know what they are talking about when discussing your case and malpractice in general?
And be sure to inquire upfront about the lawyer’s fee structure and whether they work on a contingency basis.
A malpractice lawyer needs to have access to the resources to pay for things like expert witnesses upfront, with no cost to you. Typically, attorneys who operate on a contingency do not collect upfront costs from you until after they win your case.
Finally, trust your gut. If something feels off, do not be afraid to keep looking.
Baird Mandalas Brockstedt & Federico: Experience You Can Trust
If you or a loved one are a victim of anesthesiologist malpractice, contact us at 410-421-7777 for a free consultation. We are proud to have secured some of the largest medical malpractice settlements in the area, and we have an unwavering commitment to fighting for justice.
Our decades of experience and long-standing contacts in the medical malpractice community, coupled with the unmatched personalized care we offer all clients, give us an edge over other law firms. Now let us put that skill and passion to work for you.
Where You Can Find Our Office